The guidance on this website only applies to appeals about statements of SEN. If you are appealing a decision made about an individual development plan (IDP) or an assessment about additional learning needs, please use the guidance on the Education Tribunal for Wales website.

Children and teenagers, you can also make an appeal yourself by telling us that you disagree with a decision about your education.  If you want, you can ask an adult to help you fill in our appeal application form.

Our forms and guidance booklets can be downloaded by using the links below or if you would like a copy sent to you, please contact us. Appeals must be made in writing to SENTW.


  • Appeal Application. When the Local Authority makes certain decisions about the special educational needs of a child or teenager and the parent or young person disagrees with the decision, they can make an appeal application to ask the SENTW to look at the decision. (Appeal Application – Form SENTW 2) 
  • Withdrawing an Appeal. You can complete our form to let us know if you decide that you no longer want to continue with your appeal. (Withdrawing an Appeal or Claim – Form SENTW 14)

Guidance Booklets

Children and teenagers, you may also find the information on the Children and Young People page of our website helpful. If you want, you can ask an adult to help you with your appeal. 

  • How to Make an Appeal. Our guidance booklet contains information about how to make an appeal, important time limits for making an appeal, the type of information we need and what happens once an appeal has been made. (How to Make an Appeal – Guidance Booklet SENTW 1)
  • I Have Made an Appeal, How Do I Prepare a Case Statement? Once you have made an appeal we will ask you to let us have your case statement. Our guidance booklet explains how to prepare a case statement and what information we need you to provide. (I Have Made an Appeal, How Do I Prepare a Case Statement? - Guidance Booklet SENTW 5)